WORD TO YOUR MOMS
I came to Cast Bombs! Welcome back ladies and gentlemen and secret third category, I wanted to talk about Mom(s) today.
Not just any mom, but the card, [[Mother of Ruins]]. First printed in Urza's Legacy in 1999, the card has been a staple of Commander tables, Legacy and even seen retrains to add it to Modern. So, let's get into it and see why talking about someone's mom seems to come up so much in Magic.
UR MOM!!
Okay, so actually factually this isn't about [[Mother of Runes]], because the card is simple. It can give any creature you control protection from the color of your choice by tapping her. You have space to remove the Mom before summoning sickness wears off. Very blasé, not a lot of nuance if you ask me. BUT, this is a great card to talk about the art for her, and also to remind you to call your mom because it's Mother's day.
However, that doesn't mean I am not going to talk about the art of the card as the years have gone by and rate them on a highly scientific scale: from 1 to 10.
Urza's Legacy:
The point is that for 15 years this was the art for the card. And you know what, I understand. She looks very motherly. I firmly believe I could tell her that I failed my spelling test, or that I wanted a sandwich after school, with the crust cut off obviously.
Art gets a 9/10. She's not Mother by any stretch, but she's definitely a mom.
Duel Decks: Elspeth vs. Kiora:
This art was the second art for the card. This was the art used until 2021, for Eternal Masters, a list reprint and another MTGO promo.
A Terese Nielsen piece that definitely is artful. I have little to say about it because honestly, this looks like a piece in which the Runes were more important.
This woman is definitely mommy to somebody, but honestly, she doesn't feel like mom. Her makeup is fierce or whatever, but I don't see a mother here, I see an archaeologist.
Art gets 5/10. Interesting piece, but I don't see a mom here. Unless she is the mother of the runes, in which this is all getting very meta and I don't like it.
SECRET LAIRS!
The last five arts and printings for the card come to us from Secret Lairs. The first 4 of them were from a Mother's Day Secret Lair in 2021. The lair was 4 copies of Mom. And while making a The Fifth Element reference would be very entertaining here, I think it's best to just get to the cards instead.
In order of appearance: SLD 299, SLD 298, SLD 297, SLD 296
These are all gorgeous, and I love them. I personally own SLD 296, because I just, love the art that much. These are all four very wonderful pieces. And SLD 297, illustrated by Rebecca Guay, even has a baby in it.
I would say that these are all very good moms. I think 297 gets 8/10 for having something extra maternal in the art.
The rest of them are easily 7/10 moms. I believe each and everyone of them is a mom of some kind.
The last art is less a mom, and more Mother. Printed in the Magali Villeneuve artist drop, she's absolutely serving.
10/10, no notes.
So, there you have it. That's all the moms, let's get to some honorable mentions.
Honorable Mentions
[[Giver of Runes]] is not the same card with a new creature type. Not being able to protect herself is a real downside, but the second point of toughness is a bonus. This being a Modern Horizons card that allows WotC to reference and create reduxes of older cards, I remember seeing her called "Stepmom". And honestly, I can't be mad.
Art is pretty neat too, just a lady, and her runes, out for a walk in some kind of steppe. 6/10, I believe that she has a kid, and probably a "Live, Laugh, Level Up" sign somewhere in her home.
While being both Silver bordered (acorn?) and not actually doing anything like Mom, [[Mother of Goons]] is very funny. I like this card, I used it as the article thumbnail, it's a good card. Well, no actually this kind of sucks, [[Blasphemous Act]] becomes a roast session during a game because there conceptually, are dozens of triggers you can respond to. OR, in my experience, the least funny person might pick this card and show people the real zingers they keep ready at a moments notice.
8/10- fun art with style.
Anyhow, that's my speech, go call your moms and tell them you love them. If your mom isn't around anymore, I hope you have a good day regardless. If you and your mom are on bad terms, I am sorry to hear that. And feel free to call me insensitive on Twitter @1Wollef or drop a comment about how you forgot to get flowers because you just can't remember the date. Anyhow, have a nice day, and stay safe.
Comments
Post a Comment